Skip to main content

ACT Historic Vehicle Registration arrangements

The new logbook system for historic vehicles (30+ years old):

  • The new logbook system is now in effect. Under the logbook system, you have 60 days per 12 month period of personal use, PLUS unlimited club-related drive activities for your historic car.
  • You can collect a car logbook for each historic vehicle you have (one logbook per car) by attending an Access Canberra shopfront from 3 April. To collect the logbook/s, you will need your driver’s licence, your PCC membership card (see below if you haven’t yet collected a 2023 membership card) and pay $12 for each logbook. We also suggest you also take your current registration certificate with you for each car to make it easier for Access Canberra staff.
  • Each logbook is good for 5 years.
  • Under this system, you can choose to have the historic vehicle number plate or choose any other number plate style – including your existing “Y” or euro plate or a personalised plate for example.
  • You may also be able to register your 30 year+ vehicle under the scheme even if it has been modified under the new modified historic vehicle category. See further below.

Ok, I have a logbook. What now?

  • Once you get your logbook, you need to have the PCC President, Secretary, or the club’s historic vehicle registrar, Peter Woods, sign the logbook for the 2023 year to confirm that you are a financial member of the club. (Note the logbook comes into effect as soon as you have it, regardless of whether it is signed or not by a relevant committee member).
  • You must fll out the logbook before each trip commences for that day and be kept in the car. There is a ~$900 fine for not having a logbook or not filling it out. You only need fill the logbook once for each day you use your car (up to 12 midnight each day).
  • Your eligibility under this scheme relies on you maintaining your club membership. Should you not renew PCC membership by the due date each year (30 November), you are then no longer a financial member and your vehicle is technically unregistered, even if you have a registration certificate with a later date. This will be of critical importance should your eligibility under the scheme be challenged at any time by police, the motor vehicle registry or Access Canberra, or an insurer.

What's the difference between "personal" and "club" drives?

  • A personal drive can be anything you like - a trip interstate, going shopping or to work, taking the car to a mechanic, whatever. You just need to fill it out before you head off for each 24 hour period (so an overnight trip interstate will be at least two days - one day to travel there and another day to return).
  • A club drive is any event on the PCC events calendar or that is sent out by the club as an event email, plus any "impromptu" drives that members might arrange between themselves, as long as there is a written record prior to the event occurring, and that club historic vehicle registrar, Peter Woods, is sent details of the event beforehand.

PCC Membership Cards

You will need your club membership card to collect your logbook. You can request a membership card using the form here (you will need to be logged into the club website to use this form).

Logbook signing

Once you have a logbook, bring it with you to the next PCC event for signing by club President, Secretary, or the historic vehicle registrar as endorsement of your financial membership status. You will need your logbook signed again each year in the future.

Modified historic vehicles

For the first time, vehicles that are over 30 years but with modifications that would rule them out of historic registration are able to be registered under this scheme as a modified historic vehicle. Acceptance of a vehicle as a historic, or a modified historic vehicle will be at the discretion of the club historic vehicle registrar or delegate. 

Any questions?

If you have any questions about the operation of the scheme, ask club historic vehicle registrar at a club event, or send an email to  Staff at Access Canberra should also be able to answer questions. If there are questions we can't answer, we will refer those to the CACTMC.